mobile nav

Subject

Regent's Canal Company

Regent's Canal Company

Group  From 1812 

Categories: Engineering, Transport

Created following the passing of the Regent's Canal Bill in July 1812, to cut a new canal from the Grand Junction Canal in Paddington to Limehouse and the Thames. John Nash was a large shareholder; James Morgan its Chief Engineer. The canal opened on 1st August 1820 with a grand procession from St. Pancras to the Thames, with Morgan on the leading barge.

The canals were nationalised in 1948 and the Regent's Canal continued in use for long distance haulage until the 1960s.

Go to map of other memorials in this area

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Regent's Canal Company

Information Commemorated at

79115

Islington Tunnel - east - new

We note that the plaque, twice refers to 'Angel', not 'the Angel', and realis...

Read More