Regent's Canal Company
Group From 1812
Created following the passing of the Regent's Canal Bill in July 1812, to cut a new canal from the Grand Junction Canal in Paddington to Limehouse and the Thames. John Nash was a large shareholder; James Morgan its Chief Engineer. The canal opened on 1st August 1820 with a grand procession from St. Pancras to the Thames, with Morgan on the leading barge.
The canals were nationalised in 1948 and the Regent's Canal continued in use for long distance haulage until the 1960s.