Group    From 1837  To 1912

Thames Ironworks and Shipbuilding Company

Categories: Engineering

Established as the Thames Bank Ironworks by Thomas Joseph Ditchburn and Charles John Mare. Renamed in 1860, it had by 1863 the capacity to build 25,000 tons of warships and 10,000 tons of mail steamers simultaneously. One of its first contracts was for HMS Warrior, launched in 1860, which at the time was the world's largest warship and the first iron-hulled armoured frigate. In the early 20th century, the company diversified into building buses, coaches, cranes and bridges. It was forced to close because of the lack of new orders. The company had its own football team known as Thames Ironworks, which in 1900 became West Ham United.

Credit for this entry to: Alan Patient of www.plaquesoflondon.co.uk

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Thames Ironworks and Shipbuilding Company

Commemorated atInformation

Charlie Paynter

Charlie Paynter, 1879 - 1970, lived here. West Ham United FC manager 1932 - 1...

Read More

Thames Ironworks and Shipbuilding Company

The monument, created by sculptor Richard Kindersley, comprises a number of c...

Read More

Other Subjects

William Edward Farquharson

William Edward Farquharson

Senior Second Engineer on the RMS Titanic. A full résumé of his life can be found on the Encyclopedia Titanica website. He is also commemorated on the Engineers Memorial, Andrews East Park, Above B...

Person, Engineering, Tragedy

1 memorial
J. Brown
2 memorials
Brunel's Engine House

Brunel's Engine House

The engine house was designed by Marc Brunel to be part of the infrastructure of his Thames tunnel. It held steam-powered pumps used to extract water from the excavations. Since 1961 the building h...

Building, Engineering

1 memorial
Edmund Nuttall Limited

Edmund Nuttall Limited

Construction company with origins in the Netherlands.

Group, Engineering, Netherlands

1 memorial
West Middlesex Water Company

West Middlesex Water Company

A utility company which supplied water to parts of West London. It was established in premises on the banks of the River Thames at Hammersmith, the central part of which was designed by William Tie...

Group, Engineering, Food & Drink

2 memorials