Building From 1844 To /11/2013
Former prison on Forbury Road in Reading. Designed by George Gilbert Scott. Its most famous inmate was Oscar Wilde, who wrote 'The Ballad of Reading Gaol' whilst he was here. It housed prisoners of war in both world wars and in 1992 became a remand centre and young offenders Institution. Renamed HM Prison Reading, it became a Grade II listed building in 1978. Since its closure, various new uses have been suggested, including an arts and theatre centre.