Building    From 1290 

Queen Eleanor’s Cross

Categories: Architecture, Royalty

The last of 12 Eleanor Crosses erected to celebrate Eleanor's last journey.

Queen Eleanor of Castile died near Lincoln, with her husband, King Edward I, at her bedside, and was to be buried in Westminster Abbey. The crosses were erected at each of the overnight stops her funeral procession made on the journey, the King accompanying it the whole way.

The Charing Cross, 70 foot high, was the "best" of them all, in size, grandeur and cost. It was marble; the others were stone or wood. It was pulled down by order of Parliament in 1647, when royalty was out of favour. Only three original crosses remain: Geddington, Hardingstone and Waltham Cross.

The current Charing cross, a Victorian Gothic re-imagining by architect Edward Middleton Barry and sculptor Thomas Earp, was erected in 1863-5 by the South Eastern Railway Company when they built Charing Cross Station, as the centrepiece of the hotel forecourt. Drawings and fragments of the original are held by the Museum of London.

Another London Queen Eleanor’s Cross stood in the City at Westcheap - the Museum of London holds some fragments.

See History and Traditions of England and Seiyaku for more information.

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Queen Eleanor’s Cross

Commemorated ati

Charing Cross

Around the monument are 8 standing, crowned statues of Eleanor. This is a rec...

Read More

Queen Eleanor's Cross

So, is this the "centre" of London? Londonist provides some alternatives.

Read More

Other Subjects

H. L. Florence

H. L. Florence

Architect, Born Henry Louis Florence. 1875 he is credited with Stourbridge & Kidderminster Bank in Worcester. In 1871 he began a partnership with Lewis H. Isaacs. Information mainly from Scotti...

Person, Architecture

1 memorial
Samuel William Iron

Samuel William Iron

Architect active in 1877. We can find no information about him, which is unusual for architects.

Person, Architecture

1 memorial
The Cottage, 1618

The Cottage, 1618

From Westminster: Mayfair suffered a direct hit during the Blitz of winter 1940 and the area’s oldest cottage, which had an inscription over its doorway ‘The Cottage, 1618 A.D’ was destroyed. This ...

Building, Architecture

1 memorial
Sir Joseph Paxton

Sir Joseph Paxton

Architect responsible for the Great Exhibition, 1851. Born Milton Bryan, Bedfordshire. The Crystal Palace Company gave him, free of rent, Rockhills, a Regency house to the north of the Crystal Pala...

Person, Architecture, Gardens / Agriculture

4 memorials