In 1714, a well of 'chalybeate waters' (water impregnated with iron) was discovered near the Bell Inn, Kilburn. Gardens and a 'great room' were opened in an attempt to compete with the nearby Hampstead Well. They remained popular into the nineteenth century. The Bell Inn was demolished and rebuilt in 1863.
See the plaques for our thoughts on the location of the Wells and the Spa.
Credit for this entry to: Alan Patient of www.plaquesoflondon.co.uk