Plaque: Guy's War Memorial plaque
Erection date: 11/11/1994
The Memorial Arch, formerly sited at the Park entrance, ws re-erected here in 1994 through the generosity of the Special Trustees of Guy's Hospital. This tablet was unveiled by Kenneth MacLean MD FRCP, Emeritus Physician, 11 November 1994.
This plaque is on the wall behind the arch.
Site: Guy's War Memorial (2 memorials)
SE1, Great Maze Pond, Guy's Hospital - Memorial Park
Fascinated by the street name "Great Maze Pond" we learn that in the 14th century the area of gardens and walks to the north of Tooley Street was called "The Maze" which subsequently gave way to the "Manor of the Maze". But was there an actual maze? We can't find out.
2022: Sebastian Bulmer wrote to tell us about Kings Collections which presents the information it holds about the names on this memorial arch: "The records of war dead published here record both the staff and students of Guy's Hospital and its Medical School to have died during twentieth century conflict. Many of their names are recorded on a Portland stone memorial arch designed by William Walford, which was unveiled by the Duke of York in July 1921, and which now sits in the Memorial Park at the heart of King's College's Guy's Campus. The College's principal remembrance service is held here annually on Armistice Day."