Building From 1191 To 1643
Sermons had been preached at Paul's Cross since at least the 12th century. In 1449 Bishop Kemp had it rebuilt and it remained in that form until in 1643 the puritanical Long Parliament ordered its destruction. It was an open octagonal booth with a pitched roof on top of which stood a cross. In 1874 the foundations of the Cross were discovered.
The New York Times of 5 November 1910 carries a report of the opening ceremony for the memorial and gives some details of the history of the Cross.