mobile nav

Subject

Newcastle House

Building  From 1641 

Categories: Architecture

From the Picture Source website:
In 1790, James Farrer bought the southern half of the fine building which we now occupy at 66 Lincoln's Inn Fields. This was originally the home of Lord Powys, which was damaged by fire in 1684. It was restored by the Treasury under Sir Christopher Wren's direction as an official residence for the Keeper of the Great Seal, and the Charter of the Bank of England was sealed in our boardroom, the Peacock Room, in 1694. In 1705, the building was sold to the Duke of Newcastle and remodelled in 1715 by Sir John Vanbrugh. After the Duke's death it was divided into two. In 1905, Sir William Farrer bought the northern half from the Society for the Propagation of Christian Knowledge and the two halves were reunited. In 1930, Mr (later Sir) Edwin Lutyens remodelled the front of the building and restored much of it to its original appearance.

British History has full details and a number of pictures.

Go to map of other memorials in this area

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Newcastle House

Information Commemorated at

45497

Newcastle House

We thank Rosemary Jeffreys, again, for the Latin translation. After the fire...

Read More