Plaque: Newcastle House
E Flammis Rediviva
1686 restored from the flames
1930 falling to the ground from old age, remade.
We thank Rosemary Jeffreys, again, for the Latin translation.
After the fire the building was restored by the Treasury under Sir Christopher Wren's direction as an official residence for the Keeper of the Great Seal. In 1930 Edwin Lutyens remodelled the front of the building and restored much of it to its original appearance.
Site: Newcastle House (1 memorial)
WC2, Lincoln's Inn Fields, 66