Erection date: 2/7/1897
To the honor and glory of God, this memorial stone of St Clement Danes & Clare Market Parish House, erected upon the site presented by the Hon. W.F.D. Smith MP entirely by voluntary subscriptions from parishioners & friends, was laid by Lady Esther Smith on July 2nd 1897.
J.J.H. Septimus Pennington M.A. Rector, The Hon. W. F. D. Smith MP, Richard Twining, Esq., Herbert H. Twining, Esq. - Trustees
Harry Eve, Esq., Herbert H. Twining, Esq., - Hon. Treas.
Miss Louie Pennington - Hon. Sec.
H. P. Surrey - Hon Architects
J. Carmichael - Builder
Henry Andrews , James Hodges - Churchwardens
The St Clement Danes Church referred to is the one in the middle of the Strand to the east of the Aldwych. Clare Market used to be a food, mainly meat market. The site is now occupied by buildings of the London School of Economics.
Site: St Clement Danes Parish House (1 memorial)
WC2, Portugal Street