mobile nav

Subject

London and Greenwich Railway

Picture source

Credit for this entry to:
Alan Patient of www.plaquesoflondon.co.uk

London and Greenwich Railway

Place  From 1836  To 1923

Categories: Transport

The first steam railway to have a terminus in London. Originally it ran, largely on viaducts, between Deptford and Spa Road Bermondsey. By 1838 it had been extended at both ends: from Deptford to Greenwich and from Spa Road to London Bridge. Initiated and designed by Colonel George Thomas Landmann. The holding company continued in existence until 1923. View from the Mirror have a whole post about this railway with lots of pictures.

See other memorials in this area

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
London and Greenwich Railway

Information Commemorated at

Abbey Street Bridge

Bermondsey Abbey Street Bridge Designed by Colonel George Thomas Landmann, Ro...

Read More

Greenwich Station

{Rectangular plaque:} Greenwich Station opened 24th December 1838. The easter...

Read More

London and Greenwich Railway

{Circular plaque, around a drawing of the viaduct and St James's Bermondsey c...

Read More

Spa Road Station - Priter Road

{Circular plaque:} {Circular plaque, around a drawing of the viaduct and St J...

Read More

Spa Road Station - Spa Road

The web page given on the plaque plots 900 British transport heritage sites o...

Read More