mobile nav


Hammersmith Bridge

Picture source

Credit for this entry to:
Alan Patient of

Hammersmith Bridge

Building  From 1825 

Categories: Engineering

The original bridge was designed by William Tierney Clark, and was the first suspension bridge over the River Thames. By the 1870s, it became evident that it was not strong enough to support the volume of traffic going across it. The present bridge was designed by Sir Joseph Bazalgette and opened by the Prince of Wales on 11th June 1887. In 'The Singing Detective' television serial of 1986, there is a recurring image of a lone figure standing on the bridge.

See other memorials in this area

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Hammersmith Bridge

Information Commemorated at

Lieutenant Charles Campbell Wood

2019: Eileen Brown informed us that this plaque is mentioned in the novel, 'T...

Read More

The Bird Family

2019: The Hammersmith and Fulham Historic Buildings Group tell us that this p...

Read More

William Tierney Clark

Designer of the first Hammersmith Bridge, William Tierney Clark, 1783-1852, l...

Read More

William Tierney Clark - Fulham Reach

William Tierney Clark 1783 - 1852 {Beneath Clark's portrait and a representat...

Read More