First Blackfriars Station
Place From /1/1864 To 1868
As we write the work on the new river-spanning Blackfriars Station is close to completion. It seems Blackfriars Station has never known whether it is a North or a South Londoner. The first Blackfriars Station was built south of the river (where the plaque is) by, first the Charing Cross Railway Co. on its line from London Bridge to Charing Cross, and then completed by the South Eastern Railway Co.(SER). It opened in January 1864, but lasted only 5 years, closing when SER opened its Waterloo Station (now Waterloo East).