Building From 1825
The original bridge was designed by William Tierney Clark, and was the first suspension bridge over the River Thames. By the 1870s, it became evident that it was not strong enough to support the volume of traffic going across it. The present bridge was designed by Sir Joseph Bazalgette and opened by the Prince of Wales on 11th June 1887. In 'The Singing Detective' television serial of 1986, there is a recurring image of a lone figure standing on the bridge.