Place    From 1685 

Charles Square

Categories: Property

This Square was laid out at the same time as Hoxton Square and in 1922 Charles Square still contained at least some houses from about 1685 - 1745. Only no. 16 remains. Shown in the picture, it was "used {1922} for the accommodation of the Shoreditch County Court, and before the present Court House was built in the rear of Old Street, the front room on the first floor was utilised for that purpose".

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Charles Square

Commemorated ati

Other Subjects

F. & H. F. Higgs

F. & H. F. Higgs

Building firm, active at least 1890 - 1909.

Group, Property

2 memorials
Belair House

Belair House

Country villa. Originally called College Place. In 1947 Southwark Council purchased the lease but as the main building was in such a poor state it had to be rebuilt from ground level, retaining onl...

Building, Property

1 memorial
St Marylebone Almshouses

St Marylebone Almshouses

Funded from Count Woronzow's will.  Built in 1836 and then re-built on the same site in 1965.  Occupy the west corner at the junction of St John’s Wood Terrace and Woronzow Road.  Lots more info at...

Building, Property, Social Welfare

1 memorial
Albany Hall

Albany Hall

Our Picture source dates the image as 1899 and gives the architect as A. J. Perriam. On this 1895 OS map the building is labelled Albany Hall. and on this 1916 OS map "Institute". From Art in the P...

Building, Property

1 memorial
Griggs and Son

Griggs and Son

Builders of Westminster.

Group, Property

1 memorial