C. P. Roberts
Person Male Born 1868
Builder of Islington Library in 1906. From British History Online: "C. P. Roberts & Co. was founded by Charles Philip Roberts, born in Islington in 1846, who set up as a builder and decorator in Alma Road in 1868. From carrying out small works he gradually took plots on building leases, letting each completed house before starting the next. His house and yard were in Alma Road and the adjoining no. 138 St. Paul's Road was the office. By 1884 he had converted a building at no. 36 Tyssen Street, Dalston Lane, Hackney, into a works yard, keeping his office at St. Paul's Road. In 1886 he became bankrupt for two years, regaining prosperity by rebuilding many of the area's poorly built houses. By the early 20th century the firm was carrying out new works all over London, many for the L.C.C. Roberts's son Charles Ernest took over in 1907, and in 1929 the company moved its offices to High Holborn. Building work in Islington included the Central library and Archway Central Methodist Hall."