mobile nav

Subject

Burmantofts

Picture source

Credit for this entry to:
Alan Patient of www.plaquesoflondon.co.uk

Burmantofts

Group  From 1859  To 1957

Categories: Commerce

Manufacturers of ceramic pipes and construction materials, named after the Burmantofts district of Leeds. The business began when fire clay was discovered in a coal mine owned by William Wilcox and John Lassey. The company supplied the distinctive ox-blood red terracotta blocks which feature on the exterior of many of the early London Underground stations. 

Go to map of other memorials in this area

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Burmantofts

Information Commemorated at

75142

Chalk Farm Station

The plaque mentions the Charing Cross, Edgware & Hampstead Railway. We believ...

Read More