W. H. Smiths
Group From 1792
Henry Walton Smith and his wife Anna opened a small newsvendors in 1792 in Little Grosvenor Street. HW and then Anna died, and their sons took over, renaming the business after one of them, William Henry. In 1846, his son of the same name reached 21 and joined the business and it was renamed W. H. Smith and Son. It was managed by the family until 1972 when the first non-family Chairman was appointed. See also Lord Hambleden.
The firm and staff gave "generous and unfailing support" to King's College Hospital.