Under the direction of Prince Albert the profits of the 1851 Great Exhibition were used to purchase land in South Kensington for cultural and educational use. Most of the northern half was, 1861-88, occupied by the Garden of the Royal Horticultural Society. The Garden was thought to be a good neighbour for the International Exhibition intended for 1861, which took place 1 May -15 November 1862. RIBA’s plan shows the locations.
Note: this Exhibition is sometimes called the Great International Exhibition and often confused with the 1851 Great Exhibition.