The lock constructed of timber at this place in the year, 1810. Having become delapidated, these locks were commenced by, the Corporation of the City of London. A.D. 1856.
The first stone was laid on the 3rd of June 1857. By, Jonathan Thorp Esqre. Chairman of the Thames Navigation & Port of London Committee, on the 29th September 1857. The Thames Conservancy Act came into operation and the works were continued by the Conservators of the River Thames, and the locks were completed, and opened for traffic on the 8th of May 1858.
We found the punctuation on this plaque so peculiar we have transcribed it exactly. Just shows that way back in 1858 even people in a position to be erecting plaques were, to be kind, unsure of the rules.
Site: Teddington Lock (3 memorials)
TW11, Teddington Lock
Our photo shows the north side of the lock-keepers house which has a number of plaques attached. On the left of the north face: Teddington Lock - 1858, and on the right: Dunkirk. On the west face: Teddington Locks - 1857.