mobile nav

Subject

Conservators of the River Thames / Thames Conservancy

Group  From 1857  To 1974

Came into being as a result of the Thames Conservancy Act,1857. Completed the building of Teddington Lock. Lost some of its responsibilities in 1909 to the Port of London Authority and in 1974 the Thames Water Authority took over the rest.

The picture shows an enamalled metal 1922 Thames Conservancy registration badge for a vessel.

Richard Griffiths tells us that on Oliver's Island - downstream from Kew Bridge - there is a large stone block inscribed: BOUNDARY OF THE JURISDICTION OF THE CONSERVATORS OF THE RIVER THAMES 1868.

Go to map of other memorials in this area

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Conservators of the River Thames / Thames Conservancy

Information Commemorated at

72868

Thames head

The lettering in this granite stone was originally picked out, probably in go...

Read More

This section lists the memorials created by the subject on this page:
Conservators of the River Thames / Thames Conservancy

Information Creations

51825

Teddington Lock - 1858

We found the punctuation on this plaque so peculiar we have transcribed it ex...

Read More