mobile nav

Memorial

Queen Alexandra statue Queen Alexandra statue & 2 plaques

Statue: Queen Alexandra statue

Erection date: 1908

Inscription

{On a large bronze plaque on the front of the plinth:}
Her Majesty Queen Alexandra, President of the London Hospital, 1904, who always took a personal & sympathetic interest in its work and who in 1900 introduced to England the Finsen light cure for lupus and presented the first lamp to this hospital.

This statue was erected by friends of the hospital, 1908.

{On the back of the plinth is a bronze relief showing the Queen with other dignitaries visiting and seeing the lamp in use. The lamp in the relief has some writing on it:}
Presented to this hospital by Her Majesty Queen Alexandra when Princess of Wales, 1900.

Site: Queen Alexandra statue & 2 plaques (3 memorials)

E1, Whitechapel Road, Royal London Hospital

The two plaques are on the building behind the statue.

Go to map of other memorials in this area

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
Queen Alexandra statue

Information Subjects commemorated

48065

Finsen light cure

The Faroese/Icelandic physician, Niels Ryberg Finsen, (1860 - 1904) won a Nob...

Read More

46381

Queen Alexandra

Wife of Edward VII, mother of George V. Born at the Amalienborg Palace, Copen...

Read More

This section lists the subjects who helped to create/erect the memorial on this page:
Queen Alexandra statue

Information Created by

50568

Friends of the Royal London Hospital

Registered charity also known as 'Friends of the London Hospital (Whitechapel...

Read More

50026

George Edward Wade

Born London, baptized at the church where his father was rector, St Anne's So...

Read More

This section lists the other memorials at the same location as the memorial on this page:
Queen Alexandra statue

Information Also at this site

48047

Children's Unit

The Children's Unit, the London Hospital Whitechapel, was inaugurated by Her ...

Read More

48046

Garden House & Duke of Westminster

Garden House opened by H. G. The Duke of Westminster on 28th November 1991. D...

Read More