Other   

Old London Bridge - coat of arms

Old London Bridge - coat of arms Old London Bridge - coat of arms
Inscription

{Above the arms:}
Kings Arms 1890
GIII 1760 R {George III was crowned in 1760.}

{around the shield, partly obscured by the animals' forelegs the motto of the Order of the Garter:}
Honi soit qui mal y pense 

{at the bottom of the arms, on the ribbons, the monarch's motto:}
Dieu et mon droit 

{and below in the black area, obscured by foliage:}
King Street

This is a finely detailed piece of sculpture and you don't have to look too close to see that the lion and the unicorn are what, in the language of heraldry is known as 'pizzled', a quite common sight on coats of arms until the Victorians arrived.

This coat of arms was added to Stonegate, at the southern end of Old London Bridge as part of some construction work in 1728.  To enable road widening all the buildings on the bridge were demolished by 1760 including Stonegate but this coat of arms was rescued and re-erected on this pub, of which the current building was erected in 1890.  Either the pub was already called the "King's Arms" and wanted the coat of arms because it was a ready-made sign, or, they were so delighted with the acquisition that they renamed the pub in celebration.

Our colleague Alan Patient, gave us this British History link which has a drawing of the pub in 1828, showing this coat of arms on a very different looking building that the Victorian one we see today.   It's possible that the early building just had a Victorian front tacked on the front to update it.   The street was named King Street in 1774, possibly partly as a result of this coat of arms being here.  In 1879 it was renamed Newcomen Street, after the charity which owned a lot of the area.

2016: Mick Cunningham contacted us with a link to a British Library page showing an 1880 photo of this coat of arms.

Site: Old London Bridge - coat of arms (1 memorial)

SE1, Newcomen Street, Kings Arms pub

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
Old London Bridge - coat of arms

Subjects commemorated Information

London Bridge

Four stone bridges have spanned the Thames at this point. The first was built...

Read More

Nearby Memorials

Great Exhibition - Coalbrookdale Gates

Great Exhibition - Coalbrookdale Gates

SW7, South Carriage Drive

From Royal Parks: "The gates were designed by Charles Crookes. Each of the cast iron gates was cast in one piece. Their finials, supporti...

1 subject commemorated, 1 creator
Southwark Bridge

Southwark Bridge

EC4, Fruiterer's Passage

The new pedestrian subway under the northern approach to Southwark Bridge was formally opened on 19 January 2000 by the unveiling of a sm...

1 subject commemorated
Hardy's tree

Hardy's tree

NW1, Pancras Road, St Pancras Gardens

Not strictly a memorial but irresistible to include. As railway lines were constructed through densely built-up parts of London, they of...

1 subject commemorated
St Peter Cheap - railings

St Peter Cheap - railings

EC2, Wood Street

The medieval church of St Peter, Westcheap (now Cheapside) used to stand on this corner facing Cheapside. The blue information board give...

2 subjects commemorated
Marble Arch

Marble Arch

W1, Marble Arch

In summary: 45ft high, clad in white Carrara marble. Designed by Nash and erected, 1827-33, as a ceremonial entrance from the Mall to Buc...

2 subjects commemorated, 4 creators