Plaque   

Haggerston Road School - opened

Haggerston Road School Haggerston Road School - opened

Erection date: 22/1/1858

Inscription

{Lower plaque:}
These schools built by subscriptions were opened by the Right Rev. the Lord Bishop of London on the 22nd of January 1858 {or possibly 68}.
The Rev. Alfred M. Myers - Incumbent

Note: you can see that when the original plaque was saved from the demolition the stone in which it was laid was reclaimed as well.

Site: Haggerston Road School (2 memorials)

E8, Haggerston Road, All Saints Centre

The church immediately to the north is All Saints Church, built 1856, was initially known as All Saints, Stonebridge but we've seen it referred to as All Saints Church, Haggerston, and also All Saints Church, Dalston. This church and Holy Trinity, Dalston were united as one parish in 1997, now called Trinity Saints United. All Saints is also known as the Clown's Church - see Grimaldi for the reason.

The vicars mentioned on the plaques would both have belonged to All Saints church. Disappointingly we have found no information about them and very little about the school.

But we do know that a WW1 memorial was erected by the school's Old Boys Club in 1921.

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
Haggerston Road School - opened

Subjects commemorated Information

Haggerston Road School

We can find very little about this school, it's all just hints and pointers. ...

Read More

This section lists the subjects who helped to create/erect the memorial on this page:
Haggerston Road School - opened

Created by Information

Rev. Alfred M. Myers

Vicar of All Saints, Stonebridge/Haggerston  in 1858.

Read More

Archibald Campbell Tait

Bishop of London 1856 - 1868, Archbishop of Caterbury 1868 - 1882. Born Scot...

Read More

This section lists the other memorials at the same location as the memorial on this page:
Haggerston Road School - opened

Also at this site Information

Haggerston Road School - destroyed

{Upper plaque:} Original schools destroyed by enemy action 1941. This hall er...

Read More

Nearby Memorials

Overseas League

Overseas League

SW1, Park Place, Overseas House

{Inscribed on the stone below the casket:} Vernon House was bought by The Overseas League in 1921 and is dedicated to the perpetual memo...

2 subjects commemorated, 1 creator
Margaret Damer Dawson - plaque

Margaret Damer Dawson - plaque

SW3, Cheyne Row, 10

Margaret Damer Dawson lived here.

1 subject commemorated
Sir Morell MacKenzie

Sir Morell MacKenzie

W1, Golden Square, 33

Placed 17 May 1995.

2 subjects commemorated, 2 creators
Mark Stevens

Mark Stevens

N1, Canal towpath, Regent's Canal

Sometimes our site photographs can be a little dull so we brought along some friends for this one. Photo taken at the 2011 Angel Canal Fe...

1 subject commemorated
London Scottish Regiment

London Scottish Regiment

SW1, Buckingham Gate, 59, Swire House

Disappointingly we have failed to find a photo of the building that used to be on this site. Swire is an international shipping company ...

1 subject commemorated