mobile nav

Memorial

Old London Bridge Old London Bridge

Plaque: Old London Bridge

Inscription

Old London Bridge
First built by the Romans, this was the only bridge over the Thames in London until 1750. Until 1830, London Bridge stood a short distance downstream from where the existing bridge is now. The north side extended under the tower of St Magnus the Martyr church, whilst the south end was on the site of No. 1 London Bridge.
Stones from this bridge can still be seen in St Magnus churchyard. An alcove from the bridge, added in the 18th century, now stands in the grounds of Guy's Hospital. the bridge was rebuilt in 1973, the south end of its Victorian predecessor still survives in situ. The rest now stand in Lake Havasu, USA.

{Repeated around the border of the plaque:}
Pool of London 

Site: Old London Bridge (1 memorial)

SE1, Queen's Walk

Looking across the river you can see the low roof of St Magnus the Martyr between the two modern blocks.

Go to map of other memorials in this area

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
Old London Bridge

Information Subjects commemorated

46796

London Bridge

Four stone bridges have spanned the Thames at this point. The first was built...

Read More

This section lists the subjects who helped to create/erect the memorial on this page:
Old London Bridge

Information Created by

50532

London Bridge City

We'd never heard of this but apparently it is a "prestigious estate" of over ...

Read More