185cm high x 160cm wide x 160cm deep and over 5 tons.
Site: General Post Office capital (2 memorials)
E17, Vestry Road, Vestry House Museum
All that remains of Smirke's 1829 Post Office building in St. Martins-le-Grand is this five-ton Ionic capital from the right hand corner of the portico. It was given to Walthamstow Urban District Council by Messrs Mortimer Ltd, a local stonemason. It was initially placed in Lloyd Park, Walthamstow, where it remained until July 1954 when it was moved to this location.