Plaque: Gassiot - new hall
Erection date: 19/10/1896
This stone was laid on 19th October 1896 by Mrs C. Gassiot.
Evelyn H. Morton - Rector
Surely anyone who decides to repaint a plaque should first check what the inscription is meant to be? We've corrected the rector's name, and the 'G' for Gassiot and the year.
From Morden: "In 1895 the schools were too small for their purpose, viz., Sunday-schools, Church Lads Brigade, etc., and the Trustees built the New Hall adjoining the old schools by means of public subscriptions, a bazaar, the generosity of Mr and Mrs. Gassiot, and a loan from the Charity Commissioners upon the security of the endowment. This Hall was opened by the Lord Bishop of Rochester, Dr. Talbot, in 1896, and has already proved its value both as a place of healthy entertainment and as a part of the Sunday-schools connected with the church."
Note "Gassiot Road" a few streets away from the plaque, to the north-east.
Site: Tooting school (2 memorials)
SW17, Church Lane
From the paintwork etc. it would appear that all the buildings (3 or 4?) in our photo are now one, though they may not always have been. The Gassiot plaque can be seen in our photo, the white shape between the pedestrian and the railings. The Ravenhill plaque is above the door to the far right of our photo.
St Nicholas, the parish church of Tooting Graveney, is almost immediately opposite this building. The 1871-82 map from British History Online shows the church and, opposite, a "National School - boys and girls" on this site (at the right, two thirds of the way down).
The source of practically all our information is The History of Tooting-Graveney: Surrey, 1897, by W. E. Morden:"... in 1784, it was decided to obtain a place for a school, and a master to teach the children. In 1792 it was determined in Vestry that a charity school should be erected for the benefit of the poor boys and girls of the parish. A public subscription was opened, trustees appointed, and a site for the building obtained from the Lord of the Manor at a peppercorn rent for 999 years." There is no mention of the school moving so we believe this is the site so obtained.