Erection date: 3/6/1935
Edward Prince of Wales laid this stone in the 26th year of the reign of King George V, 3 June 1935.
Site: Foundation stone for Royal Commonwealth Society (1 memorial)
WC2, Northumberland Avenue, 18
The wonderful Ornamental Passions has reached this building (now a hotel) and answered the questions we had about it. To quote: "The building was created for a nobler purpose, as the headquarters of the Royal Commonwealth Society. Originally it was "a meeting place for gentlemen interested in colonial and Indian affairs" but has morphed into an educational charity. These days it perches in the Commonwealth Club along the road at No 25. Built in 1934 to a dull design of Sir Herbert Baker.." with "dynamic and forceful" sculptures by Wheeler.