mobile nav

Memorial

Essex Street & Essex Hall Essex Street & Essex Hall

Plaque: Essex Street & Essex Hall

Erection date: 1962

Inscription

{Inscribed stone to the right of the right-most green awning in the picture:}
Essex Street was laid out in the grounds of Essex House by Nicholas Barbon in 1675. Among many famous lawyers who lived here were
Sir Orlando Bridgeman c.1606 - 1674. Lord Keeper
Henry Fielding 1707 - 1754, Novelist and
Brass Crosby 1725 - 1793 Lord Mary of London
James Savage 1779 - 1852 Architect had his office here
Prince Charles Edward Stuart stayed at a house in the street in 1750.
Rev. Theophilus Lindsey 1723 - 1808 Unitarian Minister founded Essex Street Chapel here in 1774.
Dr. Samuel Johnson established an evening club at the Essex Head in 1783.

This plaque was first erected at 7 Essex Street in 1962 and then re-erected here, at Essex Hall in 1964.

Site: Essex Street & Essex Hall (2 memorials)

WC2, Essex Street, Essex Hall

Go to map of other memorials in this area

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
Essex Street & Essex Hall

Information Subjects commemorated

Show all 10

70301

Essex Street Chapel and Essex Hall

The first Unitarian service was preached by Theophilus Lindsey on 17 April 17...

Read More

50534

Nicholas Barbon

Builder and economist, a key figure in the rebuilding of London after the Gre...

Read More

47005

Sir Orlando Bridgeman

Judge. Lord Keeper. Born Exeter. Lived in Essex Street. Died Teddington...

Read More

47006

Brass Crosby

Born Stockton-on-Tees. 'Brass' was his mother's family name. Lord Mayor of Lo...

Read More

46925

Henry Fielding

Novelist, playwright. Born Somerset. Half-brother to Sir John Fielding. Lived...

Read More

This section lists the other memorials at the same location as the memorial on this page:
Essex Street & Essex Hall

Information Also at this site

45381

Essex Hall

{Plaque above seated men in picture:} Essex Hall Headquarters of the Genera...

Read More