mobile nav

Memorial

Essex Hall Essex Street & Essex Hall

Plaque: Essex Hall

Erection date: 1958

Inscription

{Plaque above seated men in picture:}
Essex Hall
Headquarters of the General Assembly of Unitarian and Free Christian Churches. Destroyed 1944 - rebuilt 1958.
Architect - Kenneth S. Tayler, ARIBA
Builders Foster and Dicksee Ltd

Site: Essex Street & Essex Hall (2 memorials)

WC2, Essex Street, Essex Hall

Below the historical stone plaque is one for the building foundation: "Essex Hall, this stone was laid by Mrs Sydney Martineau, the eighth day of June 1957." This was Edith, widow of Sydney Martineau (1863 – 1945) the British Olympic fencer, and daughter of keen Unitarian Frederick Nettlefold. More information about the creation of the building at The Story of Essex Hall.

View this memorial on a map

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
Essex Hall

Information Subjects commemorated

Essex Street Chapel and Essex Hall

The first Unitarian service was preached by Theophilus Lindsey on 17 April 17...

Read More

World War 2

Sorry, we've done no research on WW2, it's just too big a subject. But do vis...

Read More

General Assembly of Unitarian and Free Christian Churches

General Assembly of Unitarian and Free Christian Churches. Headquarters in Es...

Read More

This section lists the other memorials at the same location as the memorial on this page:
Essex Hall

Information Also at this site

Essex Street & Essex Hall

This plaque was first erected at 7 Essex Street in 1962 and then re-erected h...

Read More