Plaque: Lighthouse mission - Treloar
Erection date: 13/11/1906
To the glory of God this stone was laid by the Right Honourable Lord Mayor of London, Sir William P. Treloar, November 13th 1906.
Site: Gospel Lighthouse Mission (2 memorials)
SE1, Union Street, 47-49
In our photo Keane's is the plaque to the left (east), Treloar to the right, just above the cyclist's head. The cyclist may look as if he's riding on the pavement but there is actually a cycle track there.
At the top of the segmental pediment: "1907". In the decorative tympanum beside the Treloar plaque: "The Mint & Gospel Lighthouse Mission, Shaftesbury Society". This opening, now a window, was originally the entrance to the building on the right.
There's a story to these two buildings that we couldn’t quite work out. The asymmetrical design of the building on the left is very odd. Look above the entrance, at the columns of alternate white stone and red brick; these are not balanced; that on the right overlaps onto the other building. See our page for the Mission for some of the history.