mobile nav

Memorial

The Ring pub The Ring pub

Memorial: The Ring pub

Inscription

{Above the picture:}
The Ring
{Below the picture:}
Opposite the site of the Blackfriars Ring where boxing started in 1910.

Site: The Ring pub (1 memorial)

SE1, Blackfriars Road, 72

The Surrey Chapel which became used as a boxing ring stood at this junction diagonally opposite this pub, on the site now occupied by TfL, the rather snazzy Palastra House. Nicely named since a 'palastra' was in ancient Greece and Rome a public place devoted to the training of wrestlers and other athletes. We are not sure when this pub was renamed 'The Ring'.

The policemen in the foreground are explained because we snapped this memorial while attending a cycling protest outside the offices TfL. Never off duty - that's us.

Go to map of other memorials in this area

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
The Ring pub

Information Subjects commemorated

51115

The Ring / Surrey Chapel / Rowland Hill's Chapel

On the site now occupied by TfL's Palastre House.  Built in fields as an octa...

Read More