Plaque

Rose and Crown, Wimbledon

Rose and Crown, Wimbledon
Rose and Crown, Wimbledon
Inscription

The Rose and Crown - one of Wimbledon's oldest public houses, dating from the early 17th century. It was a starting point for stage coaches to London. The Victorian poets Leigh Hunt and Algernon Swinburne often met here.

Site: Rose and Crown, Wimbledon (1 memorial)

SW19, High Street, Wimbledon, Rose and Crown pub

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
Rose and Crown, Wimbledon

Subjects commemorated i

Rose and Crown, Wimbledon

From Wimbledon Heritage Map: "part 17C, late 18C  early 19C public house, not...

Read More

Leigh Hunt

Poet. Born Southgate. Named 'James Henry Leigh Hunt' after the Duke of Chando...

Read More

Algernon Charles Swinburne

Born 7 Chester Street, Chelsea. Poet associated with the Pre-Raphaelites. He ...

Read More

Nearby Memorials

Nicolai Legat

Nicolai Legat

W14, Talgarth Road, 151, Colet House

The building is home to the Study Society. Founded in 1951 by Dr. F. C. Roles and his friends who had been associates of Ouspensky, the ...

2 subjects commemorated, 1 creator
Holy Trinity - Clapham - WW1 names

Holy Trinity - Clapham - WW1 names

SW4, Rookery Road, Clapham Common

Apart from the actual names the two plaques are the same. Our photo shows the one on the left.

War dead | WW1
139 subjects commemorated
J. M. W. Turner - W1 - lost plaque

J. M. W. Turner - W1 - lost plaque

W1, Queen Anne Street, 23

We know no more about this plaque than what Ornamental Passions discovered: it was on an older building on this site and lost in 1937 whe...

1 subject commemorated
William Dockwra

William Dockwra

EC3, Lime Street

The top of the plaque can just be seen in our photo, to the right of the left-most yellow cone. From Earsathome: Dockwra and his partner...

2 subjects commemorated, 1 creator
Prince of Wales Hospital - 1884

Prince of Wales Hospital - 1884

N15, Tottenham Green East, 6, Deaconess Court

From the ever-useful Lost Hospitals: In 1868 the Evangelical Protestant Deaconesses' Institution and Training Hospital moved into Avenue ...

1 subject commemorated