Plaque: Bowler plaque - Hoop, Whip & Top, and Marbles
Erection date: 1995
This plaque shows children’s toys: marbles; a hoop and stick; a wooden top with whip (photo at Black Country history). We aren't aware of anything in particular connecting this court to children, other than it being a place where children might chose to play.
This cast-iron roundel is one of 22 - see Bowler's page for more details.
Site: Norton Folgate almshouses (2 memorials)
E1, Puma Court
The wall plaque is between the pair of first floor windows on the far end wall. Designed in 1860 by architect T. E. Knightley and built by Pritchard. For more information see: Spitalfields Life and Tower Hamlets and British History on-line.
The pavement plaque is close to the camera, outside number 8, just to the right of the centre line of the passageway.
Puma Court used to be called Red Lion Court, in 1890.