The One Tun was patronised by the author Charles Dickens and was mentioned in his book "Oliver Twist" under the fictional name of "The Three Cripples". By that time it was already over half a century old and was run by William Dixie whose predecessor was a widow by the name of Jane Hamilton.
The One Tun started trading on this site as a licensed ale house in 1759, and has always traded under the same inn sign. The present pub is one of two remaining London taverns to trade under the sign of The One Tun, a name which portrays the largest of the range of casks used for beer and wine storage, its capacity being four hogsheads or 252 gallons.
Saffron Hill, in which the pub stands derives its name from the crops of saffron that used to be grown here in the 18th century. The present day pub was rebuilt in 1875 and bears that date on its frontage accompanied by the initials A.E.
The other One Tun pub is in Goodge Street.
Site: One Tun pub - Saffron Hill (1 memorial)
EC1, Saffron Hill, One Tun pub