Relief: CI - 6 - Wine
Erection date: 1939
Pope’s Head Tavern in existence in 1756 belonged to Merchant Taylor’s Company. The Vintners were prominent in the life of Cornhill Ward.
Site: Cornhill Insurance doors (8 memorials)
EC3, Cornhill, 32
The carved doors are at the right of the building, behind the cyclist in our picture. According to Esoteric London these panels, listed here in reading sequence (left right, top down), "were designed by the sculptor Walter Gilbert in 1939. Gilbert modelled each of the reliefs in clay and from this the two mahogany doors were carved by B. P. Arnold at H. H. Martyn & Co. Ltd of Cheltenham 'architectural decorators and furnishers'."