Erection date: 1939
St Peter’s Cornhill founded by King Lucius 179 AD to be an Archbishop’s see and chief church of the kingdom and so it endured the space of 400 years until the coming of Augustine the monk of Canterbury.
Site: Cornhill Insurance doors (8 memorials)
EC3, Cornhill, 32
The carved doors are at the right of the building, behind the cyclist in our picture. According to Esoteric London these panels, listed here in reading sequence (left right, top down), "were designed by the sculptor Walter Gilbert in 1939. Gilbert modelled each of the reliefs in clay and from this the two mahogany doors were carved by B. P. Arnold at H. H. Martyn & Co. Ltd of Cheltenham 'architectural decorators and furnishers'."