Plaque: Brixton Independent Church - WW1
To the glory of God. In memory of the eighty five sons of the late Brixton Independent Church who gave their lives in the Great War 1914 - 1918. Their names are inscribed in the liber vitae, now in the library of the Imperial War Museum. "Live thou for England, we for England died."
This tablet replaces the earlier memorial.
The IWM explains that the previous memorial was lost in the Blitz of WW2. We can find no other references to the previous memorial - we'd like to see an image.
Site: Brixton Independent Church (2 memorials)
SW9, Brixton Road, Our Lady of the Rosary
From Taking Stock: Designed by Arthur J. Phelps as the Brixton Independent Church, opened June 1870. Badly damaged in WW2 and taken over for use as a Catholic church by the congregation of St. Helen's, Robsart Street. The restored church was opened on 8 December 1953. In 1955 the church hall on the south side was replaced with a new hall and vestry.
In our photo the war plaque can be seen to the left and the foundation stone to the right, below the blue sign.