Plaque: Brixton Independent Church - foundation stone
Erection date: 14/7/1869
This building was erected by the Congregation of Claylands Chapel in commemoration of the twenty three years ministry of the Rev. James Baldwin Brown, BA.
This stone was laid by John Kemp Welch, Esq. July X1V MDCCCLXIX
Myers & Sons - builders
A. J. Phelps - archt.
We think it likely that Kemp-Welch, a local worthy, attended the church and made a contribution to the costs of this building.
Site: Brixton Independent Church (2 memorials)
SW9, Brixton Road, Our Lady of the Rosary
From Taking Stock: Designed by Arthur J. Phelps as the Brixton Independent Church, opened June 1870. Badly damaged in WW2 and taken over for use as a Catholic church by the congregation of St. Helen's, Robsart Street. The restored church was opened on 8 December 1953. In 1955 the church hall on the south side was replaced with a new hall and vestry.
In our photo the war plaque can be seen to the left and the foundation stone to the right, below the blue sign.