mobile nav

Subject

Claylands Chapel

Building 

Categories: Religion

Built as a Congregational church and opened on 29 June 1836, this building is at the north corner of Claylands Road and Claylands Place (just south of the Oval). In 1845 it was renovated and capacity-creating galleries added. 1846 John Doulton, of Doulton Potteries, and others elected Brown as pastor. Doulton became a deacon. The chapel was again extensively altered and reopened 1862. 1870/1 Brown took most of his congregation to Brixton leaving Rev. John Foster in charge at Claylands. Foster carried out some renovations and the church reopened in 1871. Foster left in 1887. 1890 the church was renovated again. 1891 the church bought the freehold of the site. More renovations included the rebuilding of the school (at the back of the church) in 1900.

Most of this information comes from The story of Congregationalism in Surrey.

2020: the buildings is apparently used as offices by Rolfe Judd.

See other memorials in this area

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Claylands Chapel

Information Commemorated at

Brixton Independent Church - foundation stone

We think it likely that Kemp-Welch, a local worthy, attended the church and m...

Read More