Plaque: Archbishop Sumner's Memorial Schools
Erection date: 1907
Archbishop Sumner's Memorial Schools
Erected 1871 - Rev. Allen T. Edwards, MA Vicar
Enlarged 1895 - Rev. Walter Horne, MA Vicar
Reconstructed 1907 - Rev. W. H. Hornby Steer, MA Vicar
In grateful recognition of whose work this stone is placed here by the children and teachers.
These three men must have been the vicars at St Philips, at the years given.
Site: Archbishop Sumner's Memorial Schools (1 memorial)
SE11, Reedworth Street, Archbishop Sumner Primary School
The plaque is on the left side of the building, beside the white panelling on the low modern extension.
The school's website gives no history but does say "The school is very closely linked with the Parish of North Lambeth." St Philips Church (1863 - 1973) used to stand immediately behind the building in our photo, on the corner of Reedworth Street and Kennington Road. Archbishop Tait opened this school on 18 October 1871. The British Library have an 1884 advert for "Archbishop Sumner's Memorial Schools, Kennington Road" that gives Rev. Allen T. Edwards as the President. Being the President of the school was probably part of the job of being vicar of St Philips.