Group    From 1368 

Worshipful Company of Poulters

Categories: Liveries & Guilds

From The Poulters Charter: In 1727 John Newman left his property in Budge Row to the Poulters Company who, we believe, always used it to generate income rather than for their own purposes.

The Poulters' website does not refer to Budge Row but says: “The Company does not have a hall of its own. During the seventeenth century it rented two halls. The first was in Fenchurch Street and was vacated in 1630 when the Company leased a larger building {the second hall} in Butcher Hall Lane {now King Edward Street} from Christ’s Hospital.

This Hall was destroyed in the Great Fire of 1666 and was never rebuilt. A blue plaque in St Martin's le Grand marks the site of the second hall. {This must be a slip of the map, since the plaque is actually in King Edward Street.} From the end of the second world war the Company has held its Court meetings and luncheons in the Armourers’ Hall in Coleman St.”

Horwoods Map shows that Budge Row ran east-west joining what is now the east end of Watling Street to the junction of Cannon Street and Walbrook.

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Worshipful Company of Poulters

Commemorated ati

Poulters' Hall

Near this spot stood Poulters' Hall, 1630 - 1666. The Corporation of the City...

Read More

Smithfield - Poulters

A property in Budge Row was left to the Poulters in 1727. Pity the flanking ...

Read More

Other Subjects

Francis G. Truscott

Francis G. Truscott

Liveryman of the Worshipful Company of Stationers who died in WW1. Andrew Behan has kindly provided this research: Lieutenant Francis George Truscott M.C., was born on 12 August 1894 in Redhill, S...

Person, Liveries & Guilds

War dead, WW1
1 memorial
Clothworkers Company

Clothworkers Company

Their Hall, next to All Hallows Staining, was destroyed in the Great Fire.

Group, Liveries & Guilds

3 memorials
Cooks' Hall

Cooks' Hall

Cooks' Hall was built circa 1500, escaped the Great Fire and was rebuilt and enlarged 1674. In 1764 a fire partially destroyed the Hall which was again rebuilt but it was totally destroyed by fire...

Building, Liveries & Guilds

2 memorials
Worshipful Company of Broderers' Hall

Worshipful Company of Broderers' Hall

Broderers were workers in embroidery. The Hall existed in Gutter Lane from 1515 but was burnt in the Great Fire of 1666. It was rebuilt but little used, let and became a warehouse in the 19th cent...

Building, Liveries & Guilds

1 memorial