Group    From 1368 

Worshipful Company of Poulters

Categories: Liveries & Guilds

From The Poulters Charter: In 1727 John Newman left his property in Budge Row to the Poulters Company who, we believe, always used it to generate income rather than for their own purposes.

The Poulters' website does not refer to Budge Row but says: “The Company does not have a hall of its own. During the seventeenth century it rented two halls. The first was in Fenchurch Street and was vacated in 1630 when the Company leased a larger building {the second hall} in Butcher Hall Lane {now King Edward Street} from Christ’s Hospital.

This Hall was destroyed in the Great Fire of 1666 and was never rebuilt. A blue plaque in St Martin's le Grand marks the site of the second hall. {This must be a slip of the map, since the plaque is actually in King Edward Street.} From the end of the second world war the Company has held its Court meetings and luncheons in the Armourers’ Hall in Coleman St.”

Horwoods Map shows that Budge Row ran east-west joining what is now the east end of Watling Street to the junction of Cannon Street and Walbrook.

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Worshipful Company of Poulters

Commemorated ati

Poulters' Hall

Near this spot stood Poulters' Hall, 1630 - 1666. The Corporation of the City...

Read More

Smithfield - Poulters

A property in Budge Row was left to the Poulters in 1727. Pity the flanking ...

Read More

Other Subjects

Martin Spencer

Martin Spencer

Swan Marker and Barge Master of the Vinters Company c.2006-7. Modelled for the figure in the Vintners statue. Deceased by 2023.

Person, Animals, Liveries & Guilds, Tourism / Traditions

1 memorial
Innholders' Hall

Innholders' Hall

Seven years after they received their first charter from Henry VIII in 1514, the Innholders are recorded as occupying a hall on the present site, beneath which lie the foundations of a Roman quay. ...

Building, Liveries & Guilds

1 memorial
Mercers' Company

Mercers' Company

Records go back to 1348. From the Guild‘s website: "In its widest sense mercery could describe all merchandise, although in London the term evolved to mean the trade specifically in luxury fabrics,...

Group, Commerce, Liveries & Guilds

4 memorials
Blacksmiths' Hall

Blacksmiths' Hall

At 101 Queen Victoria Street 1668 - 1785, according to the plaque but strangely the Salvation Army's account of the history of the site of their offices doesn't mention it. In 1785 the lease on the...

Building, Liveries & Guilds

1 memorial