mobile nav

Subject

Glovers' Hall

Building  From 1662 

Categories: Liveries & Guilds

The History and Antiquities of Dissenting Churches and Meeting ..., Volume 3, 1810, gives the history of Glovers' Hall, as follows:

In Beech Street, at Beech Lane, originally part of a palace belonging to the Abbots of Ramsey. It was then owned by Sir Drew Drewrie from whom it devolved to the Glovers' Company. It was then taken over by the non-conformists who, at about the time of the Restoration fitted it up as a place of public worship. Used by the Sandemanians in the late 18th century. From about 1800 it was used for secular purposes and was still in that state in 1810.

All very interesting but it gives no dates for when the building was used by the Glovers' Company, nor when it was demolished. The Glovers split off from the Cordwainers in 1349, receiving a Royal Charter in 1639. The Glovers website says "In 1662 a Hall was established in Beech Lane, Cripplegate... by the end of the {18th} century it {membership} had fallen to 14 and the Hall was given up for lack of funds to maintain it."

No picture of the hall is available but the Company have published photos of their splendid glove collection.

Go to map of other memorials in this area

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Glovers' Hall

Information Commemorated at

73179

Glovers' Hall

Near this site stood Glovers' Hall, 17th - 19th Century. Corporation of London

Read More