Group    From 1540 

Worshipful Company of Butchers

From the Butchers' website: "Five of our seven Halls were burned down including destruction in the Great Fire of London in 1666.

The fourth Hall, in Pudding Lane, was subject to a compulsory purchase order in 1883 when it was demolished to make way for The Metropolitan District Line ... the Hall in Bartholomew Court suffered considerable damage from a large bomb dropped from a Zeppelin in 1915 and again after a V1 bomb landed in the courtyard in July 1944. Our current Hall {87 Bartholomew Close, EC1} was opened by the Bishop of London in 1960 ..."

The website is not clear but we think the photo must show the WW2 bomb damage.

'Bartholomew Court' was probably close to, or the actual, location of the current Butchers Hall, between Little Britain and Bartholomew Close.

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Worshipful Company of Butchers

Commemorated ati

Smithfield - Butchers

The flanking stones don't really explain: Where did this crest come from (one...

Read More

This section lists the memorials created by the subject on this page:
Worshipful Company of Butchers

Creations i

Smithfield war memorial

This memorial was first installed in 1921 for WW1. In 2005 it was refurbished...

Read More

Other Subjects

Anderton's Hotel

Anderton's Hotel

In the fifteenth century this was the Horn tavern. In the early seventeenth century the hotel was popular with the legal community. A new building was erected in 1880 and probably that was the one ...

Building, Commerce, Community / Clubs, Food & Drink

1 memorial
Manze's pie and mash shops

Manze's pie and mash shops

The Manze family came to Bermondsey from Ravello in Italy. Initially they were ice-merchants, and then ice-cream makers. Michele Manze branched out and opened their first eel, pie and mash shop in ...

Group, Commerce, Food & Drink, Italy

2 memorials
Bull and George Hotel

Bull and George Hotel

Probably built sometime in the 18th century. It served as a coaching inn on the London-Dover road. Jane Austen stayed here several times whilst travelling to visit her brother in Canterbury. Quotin...

Building, Food & Drink

1 memorial
Jonathan’s Coffee House

Jonathan’s Coffee House

Founded by Jonathan Miles in Exchange Alley around 1680. In 1698 John Castaing posted a list of prices for stocks and commodities. And so traders who were expelled from the Royal Exchange used Jona...

Building, Commerce, Community / Clubs, Food & Drink

1 memorial