Building   

Worcester House - City

From Louis Zettersten: WORCESTER WHARF – Here stood in the 15th century Worcester House, belonging to the Earls of Worcester, but Stow records that the palace was "now divided into many tenements."

In the late 16th and early 17th Century the Fruiterers' Company had their hall in this house. Probably lost in the Great Fire. It is the building to the right in the engraving.

Not to be confused with Worcester House - Strand.

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Worcester House - City

Commemorated ati

Worcester House

The plaque doesn't mention Fruiterers Passage but we believe the unveiling of...

Read More

Other Subjects

Turners' Hall, second

Turners' Hall, second

The Guild of Turners began sometime between 1295 and 1310.  King James I granted the first Royal Charter in 1604.   In the 15th and 16th centuries almost all the turners in London lived in one ver...

Building, Liveries & Guilds

1 memorial
Worshipful Company of Fruiterers

Worshipful Company of Fruiterers

1292 -  first reference to ‘Free Fruiterers’.  First charter in 1606.  Their shield shows Adam and Eve with that first piece of fruit.

Group, Commerce, Liveries & Guilds

5 memorials
Innholders' Hall

Innholders' Hall

Seven years after they received their first charter from Henry VIII in 1514, the Innholders are recorded as occupying a hall on the present site, beneath which lie the foundations of a Roman quay. ...

Building, Liveries & Guilds

1 memorial
Worshipful Company of Tylers and Bricklayers

Worshipful Company of Tylers and Bricklayers

The guild was first chartered in 1568. For Tyler, read Tiler not Taylor, and the connection makes sense. The 1666 Great Fire of London initially appeared to be good for the Company due to a Royal ...

Group, Liveries & Guilds

2 memorials
Dyers' Hall

Dyers' Hall

The Worshipful Company of Dyers was incorporated in 1471.  Their Hall in Upper Thames Street was lost in the Great Fire of 1666.  Rebuilt, it burnt down again in 1681.  They then moved to Dowgate H...

Building, Liveries & Guilds

1 memorial