Person    | Male 

William Shurmur

Categories: Property

William Shurmur

Builder, active in 1891.

The Freemason, Dec. 6, 1890: Page 3 reports on the Consecration of the William Shurmur Lodge, No. 2374: "A lodge, named after Bro. William Shurmur, the Provincial Grand Treasurer, who is the first Worshipful Master, was added to the roll of lodges in the Province of Essex on Monday, the 24th ult., when the consecration ceremony was performed at the Forest Hotel, Chingford, by Bro. Lord Brooke, Prov. Grand Master. ... the lodge was closed, and the brethren present had an opportunity of admiring a handsome lodge banner, presented by the W. M., bearing his monogram, and an excellent painting of Old Chingford Church."

The University of East Anglia hold correspondence between S.E. Shurmur of William Shurmur & Sons Ltd and J.C. Pritchard, 1932, containing "Pritchard asks if Shurmur would consider building the first Isokon type dwelling under license from Isokon. A full rental would be agreed beforehand." and "Notes on proposals to be included in an agreement on the building of the first "Isokon" house. The purchasing of the site and subsequent sale of the house and property are detailed."

The Weller family tree have some photos of Harry William Shurmur (1876-1923) with the comment "He was Foreman for a firm of Builders, I am almost certain that it was a family business." Harry's mother was Phoebe Emily (1858-1907) and his brother was Alfred Edward (1878-1905).

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
William Shurmur

Commemorated atInformation

Hackney Mortuary

Mortuary Buildings erected by the Hackney District Board of Works, Anno Domin...

Read More

Other Subjects

Lloyd's of London 1928 building

Lloyd's of London 1928 building

Lloyd's first purpose-built premises, at 12 Leadenhall Street. Needing more space Lloyds commissioned the 1958 building, where the Willis building now stands. The 1928 building was demolished to ma...

Building, Property

1 memorial
Dalston City Partnership

Dalston City Partnership

Initially we could discover little about this body but Rocker Ages solved the puzzle - they were a private, limited by guarantee company, in the regeneration business. From Lifelong Learning: "DCP ...

Group, Property

1 memorial
E. H. Blunt

E. H. Blunt

Property developer active 1884-91. The Dartmouth Park Conservation Area Appraisal and Management Plan, 2009, mentions Blunt twice, as having developed Bramshill Gardens and Chester Road. Andrew Be...

Person, Property

1 memorial
Tavistock House

Tavistock House

Built 1796 by property developer James Burton, who probably lived here while developing the surrounding area. The 1834 Davies & Bartlett map (bottom right corner) shows the house surrounded by ...

Building, Property

2 memorials
Lorne House

Lorne House

Early-mid 19th century pair of terraced houses, now Grade II Listed. From 1945 on this property has had a chequered career. Lome House was approved for the education and training of girls sent the...

Building, Medicine, Property

1 memorial