Erection date: 1891
Mortuary Buildings erected by the Hackney District Board of Works, Anno Domini 1891.
Architect - T. Thornton Green
Builder - William Shurmur
Site: Hackney Mortuary (2 memorials)
E8, Lower Clapton Road, St John's Churchyard
Taking our photo of the building we were aware of a white van arriving and just hoped that it would not decide to park across the front of the building, as has a habit of happening when we are taking photos. But, unusually, the driver had noticed what we were doing and waited, out of shot, until we were finished. Thanking him and his colleague, we noticed that the van was labelled "Private ambulance". As we left the van reversed up to the red gates which opened to admit the delivery. A macabre event at any time but this was Christmas Day 2021.
British History Online gives: "part of the Rectory's garden was taken in 1890 for a new mortuary, which was opened with rooms for a coroner's court in 1893."