First Synagogue in Hackney
Building From 1780
British History Online gives the following information:
'Benjamin Mendes da Costa and Jacob de Moses Franco were among the first members of the Jewish Board of Deputies in 1760, when every member of the London Mahammad had a house in Hackney. The Francos' lessee Israel Levin Salomons between 1779 and 1781 spent lavishly on a building which in 1799 formed a 'chapel or private synagogue' at Clapton House.'
Mahammad or more correctly Ma'amad, is the name for the board of directors of a Spanish-Portuguese Jewish congregation.
See Clapton House for a possible picture of the first synagogue.